Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Guy ~ Hubbells

HUBBELL

Born sometime in 2001
Adopted by our family in July 2002
Passed from this world July 30, 2013



For the past several years, as Hubbell and I grew closer and closer, I'd often ask him, "Hubbell, what on Earth did I do in my life to deserve you?".  It must've been something amazingly good. We'd laugh about that.  But I still find myself thinking it tonight......my first night lying in my bed without him lying on the floor right next to me. This gargantuan cold & empty space on the floor.  The one that is currently shattering my heart.  Yeah, I did something good alright. And that made me the damned luckiest woman on the planet.  Because I was Hubbell's Mom.  I can already tell you that, when I'm 90 something years old and I look back on my life, I will still feel so deeply in my heart that Hubbs was a highlight.  And he will still be there in his little corner of my heart keeping me warm with his sweet, gentle, loving, nature.

All you need to know is this: Hubbell was my guy.  You should know that we went together like peas and carrots. 

Taking care of him the last three months, as hard as it was (and it was excrutiating at times) was truly a pleasure of my life.  It's one of the things I'm most proud of. I LOVED taking care of him and I can only hope that I was worthy of him. 

My anchor.  My soul mate. My love.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Audrey, I am so, so, SO sorry to read this post this morning! :o( It's a horrible feeling when a pet leaves us, and I can only imagine what a hole this will leave in your heart. Our current dog, Lucky, is the first dog I've ever loved (had many cats) and even though he's only been ours for 6 months, I can see how my feelings for him are different from any other pet I've had the honor to love. What a blessing to have found that connection to your sweet Hubbell and to have had him love you back for all those years. I will be thinking of you and wrapping you in love and hugs over the next few days. Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey, I am so sad to hear that your beloved Hubbell is gone. He has such a sweet, sweet face. I lost my MacBeath in 1984, and he will always be in my heart, as Hubbell will be in yours. Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Audrey, I am so very sorry over your loss. Please know that I am thinking of you and sending you my love. I can hardly see through my tears as I am typing this.
    Louise (Fundy Blue) let me know of Hubbell's passing. (I was with Richard today in downtown ATL at Piedmont Hospital, nothing major, but something that has taken a lot of time.)
    Be very good to yourself, this is a rough time for you, and for your family. I know that dogs have souls, I don't care what ANYBODY says, and I know you will see him again.
    Love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so sorry to hear about the passing of Hubbell. What a beautiful beautiful dog. They really do become a part of us don't they? Sending thoughts your way my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O Audrey, I am so so sorry. Hubbell is a beautiful dog -- what a face, so warm and lovable. I still think about my old Lab Hachiko who passed away when I was a teenager; we grew up together and to this day memories of him and the things we did together are so very vivid. Some days I think of him very yearningly (just writing about him now is making me tear up), but the sadness has eased somewhat -- I take comfort from my faith that we will all be reunited in a place where there is no pain or death. I do believe Hubbell is still near you now, and you will see him again *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending love Audrey, Hubbell was indeed a beautiful creature, you and he were lucky to have found each other.
    Your post was very touching, very raw and written from your heart, I can tell.
    xo
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails