Monday, August 12, 2013

A Butterfly Picnic

The girls and I are enjoying a small getaway to visit my parents and Kenzie. If I had to choose my favorite thing about my hometown (aside from my family being here!), it would be the close proximity to the mountains. A short 30 minute drive and you're smack dab in the middle of The Blue Ridge Parkway. We spent our afternoon at The Peaks of Otter. I often find it hard to get my fill of nature in Charlotte. Here, it's much easier.  As these pictures will attest....






  




 


 



 

 



On the drive home we discussed our favorite parts of the afternoon walk.  Hard choice.  The gravel pile was BIG for the girls.  I kind of liked the massive turtle in the lake. No, the mushrooms. Or maybe the ferns.  No, definitely the wildflowers. See what I mean?  But I think the butterfly meeting ~ no, the butterfly picnic ~ was something new for all of us!

4 comments:

  1. What great shots of nature and your sweet little girls, Audrey. The turtle photo is my fav (obv). Your post title reminded me of Sesame Street's ladybug picnic. Now I have the song running through my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX9J7WcYtxI

    How wonderful that you live close enough to be able to enjoy this beautiful bit of nature from time to time. SO pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that song is what inspired this post title. Soph said they were having a butterfly meeting. But I worked in Corporate America for a long time and I'm not particularly fond of meetings. So I suggested they were on a "butterfly picnic"....like the ladybugs. And they girls got excited about that!!! Still, I've never seen that many butterflies grouped together and I was excited to witness it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Blue Ridge Parkway! What beautiful photos!
    I read about the Peaks of Otter and now you are making me want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SHOULD go, Kay ~ you would fall in love with the place. I've been going there since I was a wee tot....probably around Clara's age. And I still love it so much!!!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails